Level: Beginner | Style: Mixed Style
Tutorials, Step By Step guide, Tips & Follow Along Video
Rasteira which literally means 'creeper.'
A Rasteira is a movement in capoeira used to sweep or pull an opponent's leg in response to a kick. Many mestres agree that the rasteira is a true embodiment of what capoeira really is.
Step by step guide
- Instead of meeting the kick with a block, the rasteira follows the same direction of the attack turning the opponent's force and confidence against himself.
- The theory being that the more committed to the attack a player is, the harder they will fall from a rasteira
- e.g. When one player kicks with an armada, a well placed rasteira to the supporting leg will make him/her lose their balance and fall.
- One crucial point to remember is that timing is everything when employing a rasteira.
- A player just beginning his/her attack is easier to trip verses one whom is firmly planted.
Variations on Rasteira