Level: Intermediate | Style: Mixed Style
Tutorials, Step By Step guide, Tips & Follow Along Video
Pronounced “Sha-pah” it means the sole of the foot.
Chapa is a generic term for various straight kicks with the sole or heel of the foot. This kick can be used in a roda to push away the other player for distance.
Step by step guide
- Another kick with the same beginning as martelo.
- This kick starts by bringing the knee up towards the chest.
- Similar to martelo, the standing leg pivots so the heel faces the target.
- As the foot pivots, the kicking leg rotates so the foot hovers parallel to the ground.
- There are many ways to perform a side kick, however in Capoeira, this set up is used to make the technique and direction used ambiguous.
- Chapa (or pisão as it is also called) is performed with the heel of the foot.
- Similar to Benção, chapa can be used as a pushing kick.
- However, because of the great power you can produce from a side kick, the move can also be used to deliver damage to your target.
- Beginners should make sure to practice their lateral leg raises to improve their range of motion, making it easier to deliver chapa.
Variations on Chapa
Chapa De Costas
Style: Mixed Style